Important sh*t I learned after everyone else
I’ve always been the girl with older friends. “Mature for my age,” as the grown-ups like to say. At family parties, my parents’ friends often commented, “Jamie’s only 10?? She’s so, well, adult!” Having a 6th sense for hearing people talk about me, my ears would perk up and I’d think, “That’s right! I’m mature. I’m SO adult. I know everything!”
With this admission, you can understand my shock when, in getting older, I realized, “Holy shit! Remember, that whole I know everything thing? Yeah, NOT SO MUCH.”
Fast forward to this past February. I was at a women’s retreatshop when the facilitator, the lovely Rachel Cole, mentioned a blog by the name of Superhero Journal. As it turns out, many of the retreatshop participants were there because the authoress of the blog, Andrea Scher, had mentioned it. Well, that was enough for me. Andrea was obviously the brilliant woman to know and I needed to get on the Superhero bandwagon fast! Andrea’s posts are funny, poignant and peppered with stellar photos however it was this particular post that got under my skin and set up shop. I just couldn’t shake it. In it she openly lists everything she learned WAY later than other people. What the what? It is one thing to recognize you don’t know everything, but it’s quite another to publicly admit it. I was astonished, seriously impressed and if we are being honest here, a little queasy.
And then I had a total brain flip. Maybe this is what true adults do? They get real, pull back the curtain and authentically admit what they don’t know, what they are learning, and how much more they plan to grow. Holy goodness! It was a Jamie learning moment I did not see coming.
In opening up my brain and letting this list fall out, it was revealed that with certain things I am, most definitely, a late bloomer. My inner smarty pants just cringed a little in writing that. Thankfully I’m now adult enough to forgive myself for my “not knowing” and in fact, relish the notion that my later bloomerness is what makes me my fantastic Jamie self.
So, here it is. My list of important shit I learned after everyone else:
- Parents don’t have all the answers
- Cool kids are insecure too
- Big hair, big feet & big mouth = BIG awesomeness
- Though initially created for safety, self imposed rules suppress me
- Art and creativity come in many forms
- Walking is, in fact, exercise
- Things change (I hate this one)
- This song is pure, enlightened poetry
- Not everything is as it appears to be
- I have a sweet ass (Luv me some lady lumps!)
- A woman’s tummy is supposed to be curved
- Moms are human too
- Doing it alone sucks
- My humor is a MAJOR selling point
- Pretty on the outside does not promise pretty on the inside
- Personal rewards are imperative and sacred
- Life is not a race (though it can often feel like one)
- I don’t have to be perfect and in fact it’s my imperfections that make me brilliant and loveable
In the comments below, tell me the important shit YOU learned after everyone else. Sharing is caring and I can’t wait to hear!
Like this post? Share it with your peeps with today’s Tweetable!